As of the 25th May 2018, companies operating in the EU will be bound by new data protection laws called GDPR. This means that customers and staff have rights over the information companies hold on them and also how they are contacted.
What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. ... The GDPR replaces the 1995 Data Protection Directive.
How GDPR may effect Workforce users?
- Potential customers you have marketed to in the past have to provide consent to say they are happy for you to continue contacting them
- Existing customers can ask you for data you hold on them or ask you to delete all information you hold on them
- Existing customers can ask you to stop email and marketing communications
- Staff members that are currently working at your company can ask for you to confirm what information you hold, Staff that have left your company can also ask for this, as well as ask for all of the data you hold on them to be deleted.
How to contact a potential customer you have contacted in the past and ask for consent to continue messaging them?
As workforce is not an email marketing platform we do not offer options to batch email customers. The best way of handling this is to export your customer databse by doing the following:
Go to Contacts > Export > Click Apply and you will have a report with all your customers. You can also use the filters options if you wish to only export a certain type of customer or if you'd like to export based on a particular custom field.
You can then import this into another tool such as Mailchimp or alternativly manually email them for consent via your current email client.
How to provide the data you hold on a customer?
If a customer requests information from you on the data you hold, you can do this by filtering the jobs, quotes and invoice lists and exporting them as a CSV file (an example below)
if a customer requests specific information for a particular job, please remember you can provide a Job report which will contain all job information including images, customer signature etc. To do this please go into a job > click job report down the left and then you can either send to the customer or download a PDF copy
How to stop communication to a customer if requested?
If a customer asks you to stop sending communication, you have the option in Workforce to switch of messaging for them. To do this go into the customer and untick "Send automatic system emails and messages"
How to delete a customer and all related data?
If a customer requests for all of their data to be deleted, you can do this by going into the customer > edit customer > delete > and confirming you are happy with this. Please not that this will delete all related jobs, quotes, invoices etc for this customer
Porividing or deleting information held on your staff members
Workforce hold limited amounts of data on your staff members
- On the staff members page when you setup your staff members you can add name, tel, email. date of birth etc. while we do not have an automatic way of exporting this data, as its limited you can copy and paste data onto a word or CSV document if requested. Passwords for the user are encrypted so you do not have access to these.
- If you'd like to delete a staff member, go into settings > staff members > find the staff member > delete. This will not remove the staff members name from any historical jobs, the name of the fieldworker will remain on historical jobs, but will be removed from the staff members section, all future jobs and stop email communication. If the staff member requests that you delete their name from historical jobs, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help action this